George Clooney is defending Meghan Markle.
The 57-year-old actor, who was busy promoting his upcoming Hulu series “Catch-22” at the Television Critics Association conference in Pasadena, Calif., took time to slam the way that the 37-year-old has been treated by the press since becoming a member of the British royal family.
“They’re just chasing Meghan Markle everywhere, she’s been pursued and vilified,” Clooney told reporters on Monday, as reported by The Associated Press. “She’s a woman who is seven months pregnant and she has been pursued and vilified and chased in the same way that [Princess] Diana was and it’s history repeating itself.”
Princess Diana with her son Prince Harry.
“We’ve seen how that ends,” warned Clooney.
Diana died in a car crash while being pursued by paparazzi in 1997 at age 36.
Clooney and his wife Amal attended Markle’s wedding to Diana’s son, Prince Harry, last year.
Australia’s Who magazine also claimed the actor clarified whether or not he will be the new royal baby’s godfather.
“Oh yes, I’ll be godfather of the royals apparently,” he reportedly remarked. Clooney stressed he was joking and declared “No!”
“I’m the father of twins, I have enough s— to deal with — literally!” he said.
Amal Clooney and George Clooney arrive for the wedding ceremony of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle in Windsor, near London, England, Saturday, May 19, 2018. (Gareth Fuller/pool photo via AP)
(Gareth Fuller/pool photo via AP)
Amal, 41, gave birth to daughter Ella and son Alexander in June 2017.
Markle is due to give birth to her first child with Harry, 34, sometime in the spring of this year.
Clooney’s statements come on the same day sources close to the former “Suits” star told Vanity Fair she is “at her wit’s end” over her father’s decision to speak with the media despite pleading him to stop.
Kensington Palace has declined to comment on Thomas Markle’s decision to leak the handwritten letter the American actress wrote to him in the wake of her wedding to Harry.
The 74-year-old told UK’s Daily Mail he originally planned to keep the letter “totally private out of respect” until her friends “launched their attack” on him last week about the reported rift he has with his famous daughter, who officially became the Duchess of Sussex in May 2018.
Meghan Markle is “playing a dangerous game” with her father, Thomas, a royal biographer claims.
Sources close to Markle told the magazine she has no plans to comment on the letter being released out of fear “it could escalate an already difficult situation.”
“She cares for her dad, and has concerns for him and his mental health, which is one of the reasons she doesn’t want to comment on this,” said a source. “It’s a very complex, very emotional situation, and let’s not forget she is seven months pregnant.”
The source added Markle is “devastated” the former Hollywood lighting director has once again chosen to betray her privacy.
In the letter, Markle begged the patriarch to stop talking to the press so they could attempt to work out their differences.
Vanity Fair also learned Queen Elizabeth II is concerned about the situation between Markle and Thomas. A family friend told the publication that the monarch is not only aware of the family rift, but has urged Markle and her grandson to try to sort out the situation.
Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex
“She told them both that the whole thing was becoming a nightmare, and that they should try and sort things out,” claimed the friend.
Buckingham Palace has refused to comment on the claim.
Those close to the couple also shared that Thomas’ decision to speak out to the press once more has likely cost him any chance to reconcile with his distraught daughter. They insisted Harry is “angry” and “upset” that his father-in-law, whom he has never met, is still speaking to the press.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.